ENGLISH LITERATURE TEST
1) Write a short paragraph about the main features of the Metaphysical Poets.
2) In what way were the Cavalier Poets different from them?
J.Donne – A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning.
3) Explain the title of the poem.
4) Divide the content of the poem into five sections and sum them up:
stanzas 1-2 ____________________________________________________
stanza 3 ____________________________________________________
stanzas 4-5 ____________________________________________________
stanza 6 ____________________________________________________
stanzas 7-8-9 ___________________________________________________
5) The image of the compass is stressed by the double meaning of certain words:
‘firmness’ (line 35) can also mean _________________
‘circle’ (line 35) can also mean __________________
‘just’ (line 35) can also mean _________________
J.Donne – Sonnet X
6) Why is this sonnet an example of the Metaphysical Poets’ ‘intellectual poetry’?
7) What is the function of the final couplet?
8) Sum up the poet’s argument in a short paragraph.
9) Are the structure and the rhyme scheme of the Elizabethan sonnet respected?
A. Marvell – To his coy mistress
10) The poem can be divided into three parts: explain the poet’s arguments in three short paragraphs.
11) What is the theme of the poem?
12) Consider the last couplet (lines 45-46) and explain its meaning.
13) Describe the rhyme scheme and the structure of the poem.
14) Provide some examples of run-on-lines.
The Puritan Age
15) Explain what was the Petition of Rights, who signed it and when.
16) Explain the Civil War of 1642-1649 and its causes.
17) What was the Commonwealth?
18) Describe the Puritans and their way of life.
Top twentytwo collaboratori attivi
Didattica, Pedagogia, Musica, Ed. fisica, Religione, Software, Corsi online, Francese, Tedesco, Spagnolo, AltreMaterie, Atuttascuola 2.0, Docenti, Studenti, Biblioteca di letteratura italiana, Autopresentazione del webmaster, Hanno scritto di noi, Collabora con noi, Segnala un sito, Note legali, E-mail, Newsletter