PRESENTAZIONE27 Gennaio 2019
Accenni d’ autunno27 Gennaio 2019
Test su Jane Austen
1. What sort of society does Jane Austen describe? Give evidence from the text
2. What does the title Pride & Prejudice” imply?
3. What was the first title of the novel? What did it suggest?
4. The novel starts with it is a truth universally acknowledgeWhat does this imply?
5. The problem of knowledge is central in the novel. Mention two philosophers that dealt with this theme
6. The theme of an unfolding truth” is constant in the novel. What does it mean?
7. Identify the following steps in the novel: introduction, crescendo, apex and catharsis.
8. Describe the Bennets using as many adjectives as possible for each of them.
9. Elisabeth is considered untouched by the social codes of the time: give at least two examples of this.
10. Who is Mr. Collins? What are his intentions?
11. Describe Mr Collins from a physical and psychological point of view.
12. Mr. Darcy is speedily pronounced to be the most disagreeable man” in the world. Why? What did he do?
13. Mr. Wickham is speedily pronounced to be the most amiable man”? Why?
14. What does Jane Austen want to demonstrate by using the two expressions given in questions n.8/9?
15. What is the setting of the novel?
16. The occasion of th ball is considered a special occasion in Austens society. Why?
17. In which way does Lizzie differ from Jane?
18. What impressed Darcy more about Lizzie?
19. When does Lizzie start actually knowing Darcy?
20. Why is the novel considered a novel-in-letters”? Give examples
21. Does Jane Austen despise and reject the values of her times?
22. What is the position of the following characters as far as the social roles are concerned: Mr. Bennet, Mrs Bennet, Lady Catherine, Jane and Bingley
23. What is the difference between caricatures and characters in the novel? Give examples